Project objective: support the country efforts in strengthening the capacity to implement an integrated approach to the management of chemicals at the national level to effectively implement the Stockholm, Basel and Rotterdam Conventions, Strategic Approach to International Chemicals Management (SAICM) and promote the ratification of the Minamata Convention.
1. Preparation of a report on the problems, shortcomings and barriers to national legislation for the implementation of the coordinated implementation of all chemical conventions.
2. Analysis the best international regulatory practice for a comparative analysis of the relevant national legislation for its further improvement and harmonization with international legislation.
3. Preparation of recommendations on amendments and additions to the legislation of the Republic of Kazakhstan, which are necessary to bring the current legislation in line with the provisions of the International Environmental Agreements.
4. Preparation of recommendations on amendments and additions to the Environmental Code of the Republic of Kazakhstan regarding the treatment of Persistent organic pollutants and mercury wastes, especially regarding their disposal.
5. Updating of the National Chemicals Profile with completed technical information on chemicals, including import / export, production, as well as interaction between various government agencies, business and the public regarding the management of chemicals.
6. Adaptation for Kazakhstan an international system for the classification and labelling of chemicals.
7. Capacity building of mail stakeholders.