The project will enable Kazakhstan to prepare and submit the Eighth National Communication and two Biennial Reports to the Conference of the Parties of the UNFCCC in accordance with the obligations of the Party to the Convention under Article 12 of the Convention and subsequent decisions of the Conference of the Parties.
The project will update information on national circumstances, greenhouse gas (GHG) inventories and measures taken to mitigate climate change, assessment of vulnerability to climate change and ongoing adaptation efforts, public awareness, education and training, systematic observation and research, attraction and provision of financial resources and technology transfer. The project will also enhance technical and institutional capacity in GHG inventory, GHG emission forecasting, vulnerability assessment and, in general, National Communication / Biennial Reports preparation, and assist the Government in integrating climate change issues into sectoral and national development priorities.
Main goals of the project are:
1. Assisting Kazakhstan in meeting the reporting requirements under Article 4 and 12 of the UNFCCC through the preparation of the National Communication and Biennial Reports;
2. Assisting Kazakhstan in reporting on greenhouse gases under the Kyoto Protocol, the Paris Agreement and the UNFCCC;
3. Strengthening national technical, institutional and expert capacities for the preparation of National Communication and Biennial Repots, including data collection for the National GHG Inventory, taking sustainable mitigation actions, assisting the Government in integrating climate change issues into policies on national development into priority economic sectors.
- The methodology and institutional framework for the inventory of GHG emissions and absorptions is reinforced, which in its turn strengthen the capacity of the inventory unit and ensure consistent and continuous collection of information within the National Inventory System.
- The GHG inventory is updated for the purposes of the Biennial Reports and the Eighth National Communication.
- The capacity of national experts is strengthened and changes in national circumstances related to GHG emissions and absorptions is assessed.
- The methodology for forecasting GHG emissions is strengthened and the section on gender-specific policies and measures is improved.
- The methodology of vulnerability assessment is strengthened and a chapter on vulnerability, climate change impacts, vulnerability assessment, impact response measures, gender-sensitive adaptation measures for the purposes of the Eighth National Communication is developed.
- Two Biennial Reports and the Eighth National Communication will be prepared and submitted to the UNFCCC.