Aim of the Project: To create a national platform for all stakeholders to nationalize, implement and monitor Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by strengthening the capacity of the Ministry of National Economy of Kazakhstan (MNE) as the responsible authority and secretariat for the coordinating and monitoring of the implementation of the SDGs. The project also assists the National Statistics Committee of Kazakhstan in the provision of statistical reporting on the SDGs and the Economic Research Institute under the MNE to perform duties.
Key building blocks for development of the SDG platform:
1) Strengthening the national coordination mechanism for the SDGs implementation, monitoring and reporting;
2) Providing technical assistance for the SDGs nationalization and localization process in Kazakhstan;
3) Supporting national Statistical Capacity;
4) Establishing a dialogue on SDG financing
Results achieved in 2019 – 2020:
• Kazakhstan presented its First Voluntary National Review in July 2019 at the UN High-Level Political Forum in New York;
• More than 20 working group meetings were held;
• More than 200 experts involved in the preparation of VNR;
• First Forum on Sustainable Development on the auspices of XII Astana Economic Forum was held on May 17, 2020;
• First Regional SDG Summit: “Mobilization of financial resources for Sustainable Development Goals” with involvement of more than 300 experts and guests from CAREC countries was held in Almaty on November 15-16, 2019;
• Steps to SDGs localization in Kazakhstan have been made. For that purpose, 17 workshops in the regions and main cities of Kazakhstan with an interactive game “Mission 2030” were organized. Opinions on SDGs implementation in Kazakhstan from different range of people were collected;
• The Development Finance Assessment and Rapid Integrated Assessment of national budgets was conducted in 2019;
• More than 10 seminars on various SDGs topics to government agencies, NGOs and representatives of the private sector were conducted;
• SDG Gender Profile to show Kazakhstan’s progress on 34 SDG gender-related indicators was published jointly with National Committee on Statistics.