Rules and regulation on
The Republican contest
“Climate is changing. Are you?”
I GENERAL PROVISIONS
1.1. Name: Republican contest for photography lovers “Climate is changing. Are you?”
1.2. Territorial scope: territory of the Republic of Kazakhstan
II GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
2.1. Contest goals. Raising public awareness on the problems and consequences of global climate change from the perspective of photographers’ work.
2.2. Contest objectives:
- to attract public attention to climate change;
- promoting the younger generation interest in climate change issues;
- support for Media interest in this subject;
- initiating a trend to search for information and understanding what climate change is for Kazakhstan.
III ORGANIZERS AND WORKING BODIES OF THE CONTEST
3.1. Initiators. Contest was initiated in 2020 by the UNDP Project on development of National Communication of the Republic of Kazakhstan under the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change.
3.2. Working bodies. Two collegiate bodies are formed for the contest: Organizational Committee and a Jury.
3.3. Organizational Committee. Organizational Committee is engaged in the contest announcement, collection and registration of works submitted to the given contest. There is also Selection Expert Commission, as part of this body, which task is to verify the submitted works for compliance with the contest’s terms. Organizational Committee is responsible for the transfer of registered works to the Jury, for summing up the contest results, and timely notification of contest finalists about the victory as well.
3.4. Contest jury. Photos are submitted to the Jury upon completion of the stage of works collection. The Jury consists of experts in the field of geography, ecology, UNDP experts, media specialists and professional photographers.
IV. CONTEST SUBJECT
4.1. Works that highlight current issues in the field of ecology, environmental protection, climate change and its consequences, are presented in this contest with indication of shooting location, date and a brief description of relevance of this image to the climate change problem.
V. CONTEST PARTICIPANTS
5.1. Any citizen of Kazakhstan can be a participant of this contest.
5.2. The contest is held in two age categories:
5.2.1. Children's view on climate change – young people under 16;
5.2.2. Contest for adult photographers – from 16 years old and older.
VI. CONTEST NOMINATIONS
6.1. There are no nominations in the competition.
VII. REQUIREMENTS FOR THE WORKS
7.1. Photos submitted for the contest have to meet the following requirements:
- Each participant can submit up to 3 photos;
- Each participant forms a package containing up to 3 photos and 1 MS Word document containing photo descriptions in accordance with paragraph 4.1.
- Works submitted to the contest may be conducted both individually (for adult participants, see paragraph 5.2.2), and in co-authorship (only for children, see paragraph 5.2.1).
- Only electronic works shall be permitted in the contest. They must be sent to email address of Organizational Committee: email@example.com ; or
- Archived package using generally applicable archivers is allowed as well.
- Sending package via links in file-sharing networks is permitted (dropbox, wetransfer, mail.ru cloud and others);
- Photos should be sent to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org of Organizational Committee with the name of author and brief description of photography concept (idea) by 18:00 (according to the Nur-Sultan time), 30 September 2020.
- Watermarks, logo and other designations must not be present or used on photos.
- Photos can be taken both on camera and on the phone’s camera (picture must be presented in good, not compressed resolution).
7.2. Photos submitted to the contest must comply with the following thematic areas:
· Problems and consequences of climate change.
· Climate change and its potential impact on health.
· Climate change and forecasts.
· Successful examples of adaptation to climate change (agriculture, urban solutions, manufacturing, enterprises, etc.)
· Biodiversity and climate change.
· Climate change and water security (shortage and quality of water resources, drought, water supply safety, water-related disasters, etc.)
· Education and awareness on climate change. The role of women and mothers in formation of an ecologically educated generation.
VIII. TERMS OF THE CONTEST
8.1. Organizers inform about the start of the contest on 20 June 2020. Collection of works will continue up to 30 September 2020.
8.2. Works that are sent after the deadline will not be accepted to the contest.
8.3. Works assessment by the jury members is carried out from 1 October up to 23 October 2020 year.
8.4. Winners of the contest are selected between 24 October and 31 October 2020 year. Winner will be notified via email or phone call.
8.5. Report on the contest completion will be compiled.
IX. WINNERS REWARD CEREMONY
9.1 Participants, who come in top places, receive valuable prizes from organizers of the contest.
9.2 Awarding of the winners takes place from 24 October up to 31 October year 2020. Prizes are sent by mail or may be received by winners at a meeting organized with the aim of summing up the contest results.
9.3 All details regarding receiving of prizes are explained additionally during a phone call.
9.4. Prizes for winners of the contest:
9.4.1. For works in the “Children's view of climate change” category:
1 place prize – Play Station 4
2 place prize – Tablet computer
3 place prize – Smartphone
9.4.2. For works in the adult category:
1 place prize – GoPro camera
2 place prize – Tablet computer
3 place prize – Smartphone
X. TRANSFER OF COPYRIGHTS
10.1. Participant, who sent his/her pictures to the photo contest, gives consent to the transfer of copyrights for photo distribution and use by organizers and project partners with the compulsory indication of first and last names of the author.