UNDP in Kazakhstan has supported the Ministry of Labor and Social Protection of Population of the Republic of Kazakhstan in development of the National plan to Ensure the Rights and Improve the Livelihoods of People with Disabilities in Kazakhstan (2019-2025) accepted and approved by the Resolution of the Government on May 28, 2019.
The ratification of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities emphasized the readiness of the Government of Kazakhstan to accept and implement obligations to create conditions for prosperity and comprehensive support for citizens with special needs. The acceptance and implementation of the National Plan of the Republic of Kazakhstan to ensure the rights and improve the Livelihoods of people with disabilities until 2025 is the next stage in the development of this area of state social policy of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
On the way to further sustainable development, Kazakhstan is committed to ensuring a decent quality of life, rights and opportunities for all categories of its citizens. This fully concerns the quality of life, the rights and opportunities of citizens with special needs, the total number of which as of 2018 is more than 680 thousand people.
The purpose of the National Plan is to ensure the strategy, composition and consistency of coordinated actions of all parties involved on the path to improving the quality of life and ensuring the rights of persons with special disabilities.
Unified approaches to the implementation of the National Plan clarify and specify the actions of the Government towards the achievement of the strategic goals of the Republic of Kazakhstan, as well as the implementation of the norms and provisions of the UN Convention. Approaches to implementation are presented in the context of seven strategic activities. Within each of the activities, the Plan provides goals and objectives, target indicators up to 2025, as well as specific comprehensive measures of the Government to ensure the achievement of results.
1) Prevention of disability: reduction of primary disability rate through specific measures.
2) Social rehabilitation and habilitation: restoring and maintaining the social status of citizens with special needs. Constant and comprehensive analysis of needs and costs through a shared information system of social services.
3) Integrated accessibility and barrier-free environment: full socialization and integration into society by creating a barrier-free environment in all spheres of life.
4) Inclusive education: development of inclusive education and improvement of the quality of education of students with special needs at all levels of education (pre-school, secondary and higher).
5) Economic autonomy and quality employment: increasing the competitiveness of persons with disabilities in the labor market and ensuring quality employment.
6) Social services: accessibility and targeted provision of quality social services, taking into account the differentiation of the needs of citizens with special needs. Formation of professional staff of social workers on the basis of life-long professional education and independent qualification system.
7) Modernization of public consciousness.
The success of the next steps in the implementation of the National Plan depends on the coordinated interdepartmental cooperation and interaction of all parties involved, including ministries, local executive bodies, non-governmental organizations, businesses and society representatives. Monitoring and control over the implementation of the Plan is entrusted to the Ministry of Labor and Social Protection of the Population of the Republic of Kazakhstan.