Adapting to life in East Kazakhstan
Since the independence of Kazakhstan, over 1 million people including over 464,000 ethnic Kazakhs (Oralmans) immigrated to the country in search of a better life.
- More than 50 percent of the total Oralman population in East-Kazakhstan successfully integrated into Kazakhstan society with the support of UNDP joint programme
- Center for Oralman support provided more than 2000 consultations to oralmans since 2012
The repatriation of Orlamans was seen as a way to preserve national identity and increase the internal stability of the country.
While much has been done to encourage Oralmans to return to their homeland, their economic and social integration remains a significant challenge. (See: Oralmans status and rights)
The State Programme “Nurly Kosh” introduced centres to help Oralmans with adapting and integrating into society. UNDP supported the setup of the centre in Semey, as part of a joint United Nations programme in East Kazakhstan.
The centre in Semey started by providing language and computer classes in 2009, and is now a fully-fledged organization, providing a wide range of consultancy and educational services to the repatriates of East Kazakhstan region.
In total, about 12,000 Oralmans in the region (50 percent of the total Oralman population in East-Kazakhstan) successfully integrated into Kazakhstan society thanks to the centre in Semey.
National partners have recommended that the model of support services provided by the Centre in Semey be replicated in other regions of the country.
Adaptation and Social Integration of Oralmans
- Timeline Photos 2 hours ago
- The final round of a contest of East Kazakhstan Oblast's artistic groups is to be held in Semey on 30 September at 1500 at House of Friendship. The ones who made it to the final will show a piece from their stage productions depicting life in the region. An independent panel of judges involving famed directors have chosen three productions. In the run-up to the contest the candidate groups had done a stage training Fresh Breath of the Theatre enabling them to know the tricks of the theatre trade and by following this link you may watch them in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxYjueIYv0A&list=UUVQCPFUbpu1oiv_eoNkqS3Q. Финальный тур конкурса среди творческих коллективов Восточно-Казахстанской области состоится 30 сентября в г. Семей в Доме дружбы в 1500. Финалисты конкурса представят на суд зрителей эпизод из своих театральных постановок о жизни региона. Независимая комиссия судей, в составе которых известные режиссеры, выбрали три постановки. В преддверии конкурса коллективы прошли тренинг "Свежее дыхание театра". Во время него конкурсанты узнали много нового о театральном искусстве. По этой ссылке вы можете увидеть, как проходил этот тренинг: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxYjueIYv0A&list=UUVQCPFUbpu1oiv_eoNkqS3Q 3 hours ago
- "See more posts on"Facebook
Download this Document
- Status of Oralmans in Kazakhstan. Overview