Wider Europe: aid for trade for Central Asia, phase II South Caucasus and western CIS
From January, 2011 to December, 2012 UNDP Regional Office in Bratislava and UNDP in Kazakhstan “Wider Europe: Aid for trade in Central Asia, Southern Caucasus and CIS’ West Countries” program’s second stage had been implemented in the Republic of Kazakhstan. The aim of this program is strengthening country’s economic growth by the means of trade and competitive recovery among small and medium enterprises within East Kazakhstan oblast. In 2011, under the project, a wide range of measures, including trainings and seminars on recovery of potential within entrepreneurs and their interaction with state officers had been carried out. In order to increase the potential in East Kazakhstan Oblast, analytical researches on social and economic development and stimulation of region’s exchange activities had been performed. In the course of realization of “Aid for trade” project in 2012, some measures, including seminars for entrepreneurs on increasing export possibilities and studying the international trade conditions at new trade areas, proposed by the Government, new technologies, improvement of skills for the development of inclusive business projects, having economic benefit and social effect, as well as measure on realization of Small Grants program for project’s beneficiaries will be carried out.
- Within the project, in the second half of 2011, marketing research on studying of social-economic situation in the region, initiated by the Akimat of East-Kazakhstan oblast had been carried out. As the result of analysis, experts had developed some recommendations for business’ financing and development, professional qualification of entrepreneurs, which, at present, are used in the course of project realization for 2012. Besides, experts had developed new programs on business development and support, which will be considered and, if possible, implemented into local programs on East-Kazakhstan’s SMB individual sectors.
- At present, within the project framework, 13 local business consultants had been selected among local population, who provide consultative and educational services for rural population. At the moment, business consultants had carried out 13 training seminars for rural entrepreneurs and more than 600 consultations for entrepreneurs on specific issues.
- Within the project framework, in the beginning of 2012, research on studying the possibility of Exchange Trade development in East-Kazakhstan oblast, initiated by Trade Committee at the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade of the Republic of Kazakhstan had been carried out. As the result of research, experts had provided mechanisms, techniques and proposals on the development of legislation and Exchange Trade operations in East-Kazakhstan oblast. Following the results of research, 3 seminars for 116 participants, including brokers, public employers, entrepreneurs and Semey and Ust-Kamenogorsk SPA’ representatives had been carried out.
- Project start date
- October 2009
- Estimated end date
- December 2013
- Geographic coverage
- Eastern-Kazakhstan oblast, Semey
- Focus Area
- Democratic Governance, Economic Reform, Poverty Reduction
- Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
- Project officer
- Mira Yespenova
- Ministry of Economic Development and Trade, Akimats of Eastern Kazakhstan Region, Public Association "Salauat"