6 Promote gender equality and empower women
Where we are?
Target 4. To eliminate gender disparity in primary and secondary education, preferably by 2005 and at all levels of education no later than 2015
This target has been achieved in Kazakhstan. However, one has to recognize that differences between women and men are still significant in Kazakhstan. Therefore the new targets of 4+, which were adopted in 2007, are:
- To ensure adoption and implementation of measures aimed at increasing representation of women in legislative and executive bodies.
- To ensure legislative and enforcement measures to prevent and eliminate violence against women.
- To ensure sustainable gender mainstreaming of national planning and budgeting, especially aiming at minimising the gender wage gap.
One of the recommendations for achieving the additional targets in the public administration area is to establish effective mechanisms for progressive implementation of the Law ‘On Equal Rights and Equal Opportunities of Men and Women’. Political parties should promote equal representation and participation of women in the governing party’s bodies for meaningful participation of women in the political processes. Although there is on-going progress in improving the legal framework for the protection of women’s rights to a life free of violence, the mechanisms for its enforcement have still not been fully put into practice. Hence, an effective system needs to be put in place for applying protection warrants and government standards of assistance to victims of violence and to persons who have committed violence, using available similar international experience. This work should be supported by Governmental budget allocations for public service delivery.
The 8 Millennium Development Goals
- 1 Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
- 2 Achieve universal primary education
- 3 Promote gender equality and empower women
- 4 Reduce child mortality
- 5 Improve maternal health
- 6 Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- 7 Ensure environmental sustainability
- 8 Develop a global partnership for development
Workshop on gender sensetivity
Targets for MDG3
- Eliminate gender disparity in primary and secondary education preferably by 2005, and at all levels by 2015
- Ratios of girls to boys in primary, secondary and tertiary education
- Share of women in wage employment in the non-agricultural sector
- Proportion of seats held by women in national parliament